Mission of the Graduate School
The mission of the Wayne State University Graduate School is to provide leadership in advancing graduate education and cultivate a supportive environment for research, scholarly activities and other creative endeavors that are integral to successful graduate students, faculty members and programs. It assures the quality and integrity of graduate programs and monitors the academic requirements for the Ph.D. degree, specific master’s degrees and graduate certificates. The Graduate School also administers and regulates funds that support graduate studies and disseminates information related to graduate programs and policies. The University's Carnegie designation within the classification of Research Universities with very high research activity is reflective of a deep commitment to excellence in graduate education, relevance in academic curriculum, and leadership in research and scholarship. Accordingly, the Graduate School is committed to the highest standards of academic performance and ethical behavior.
The Graduate Council, the policy-formulating body for the Graduate School, is composed of two members elected from the regular graduate faculty of each of the various schools and colleges of the University, at least one graduate student member, the Dean of the Graduate School, and three members of the graduate faculty appointed by the Dean of the Graduate School. The Council meets monthly during the academic year, and all meetings are open to the University community.
In 1968, the Board of Governors established the Graduate Council and granted it the ‘authority and responsibility for the development of basic policies for the graduate education system and for the encouragement, improvement and evaluation of graduate programs throughout the University.’ In addition to reviewing new and existing graduate programs, the Council sets admission standards for graduate programs, makes recommendations for graduate faculty appointments, establishes criteria and evaluates applications for the Graduate-Professional Scholarship program, and awards all Ph.D. degrees, select master's degrees, and interdisciplinary graduate certificates.
The Graduate Faculty consists of faculty members who are eminently qualified by virtue of preparation and competence to teach and direct research at the graduate level. Appointment to the Graduate Faculty does not modify a faculty member's responsibility to or affiliation with his or her department, division, college, or other instructional or administrative unit. The Dean of the Graduate School, on behalf of the Graduate Council, may appoint members of the WSU faculty to the Graduate Faculty, upon recommendation of their departments or divisions and with the approval of their deans.
Appointments to the Graduate Faculty are for a period of five years. Upon completion of the term, a qualified candidate may be recommended for reappointment to the Graduate Faculty by the department chairperson and the college dean.
History and Procedures of the Graduate School
Wayne State University's graduate and professional programs were established early in the history of the University and were unified within the newly-created Graduate School in 1933. Since that time, the Graduate School has grown steadily both in terms of quality and size and now ranks as one of the largest graduate schools in the nation. The University's Carnegie classification is reflective of a deep commitment to excellence in graduate education, relevance in academic curriculum, and leadership in research and scholarship.
The Graduate School is the central unit for the supervision and encouragement of graduate work in the University and has basic responsibility for the improvement and review of existing programs. The Graduate School monitors every significant stage in the doctoral student's career and ensures that all University-wide requirements have been fulfilled. Ph.D. Plans of Work must be approved by the Graduate School. A Ph.D. applicant cannot advance to Ph.D. candidacy without the Graduate School's approval. After the dissertation defense, the Graduate School conducts a final audit of the student's record to certify him or her for graduation.
History of the University
Wayne State University’s story begins in 1868 with the founding of the Detroit Medical College, now the School of Medicine. In 1881, the Detroit Normal Training School was established, which is now the College of Education. The now-iconic Old Main Hall was built in 1896 as Central High School, which began adding college classes in 1913. Those classes evolved into the Detroit Junior College (offering a two-year general education program) in 1917, which became the College of the City of Detroit (with four-year degree programs) in 1923, and now is the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
In 1924, the College of Pharmacy was organized, and six years later the first regular graduate courses were offered in liberal arts and education. Frank Cody became the first president in 1933, with the existing colleges united into a university organization, eventually named Wayne University, taken from Wayne County in honor of General Anthony Wayne.
Wayne University continued to grow, adding the School of Social Work, the Law School, and the School of Business Administration. In 1956, it was renamed Wayne State University. In 1963, Wayne State was designated one of Michigan’s three constitutionally established universities.
1868 — The Detroit Medical College, forerunner of the School of Medicine, was established.
1881 — The Detroit Normal Training School, forerunner of the College of Education, was established.
1917 — The Detroit Junior College, offering a two-year program in general education, was established in ‘Old Main' and later developed into the College of Liberal Arts.
1923 — The Detroit Normal Training School became a four-year degree-granting institution under the name of the Detroit Teachers College. The first degrees were granted in 1924. The Detroit Junior College became the College of the City of Detroit with four-year degree programs. The first degrees were conferred in 1925.
1924 — The College of Pharmacy was organized.
1930 — The first regular graduate courses were offered in Liberal Arts and Education. The first Master's degrees were conferred in 1932.
1933 — The College of Engineering and the Graduate School were established.
1933 — The Colleges of Liberal Arts, Education, Engineering, Medicine and Pharmacy and the Graduate School were united by action of the Detroit Board of Education into a university organization, temporarily called the Colleges of the City of Detroit.
1934 — The name Wayne University was adopted, taken from Wayne County and, ultimately, from General Anthony Wayne.
1935 — The School of Public Affairs and Social Work was organized. In 1950 it became the present School of Social Work.
1937 — The Law School, established in 1927 as Detroit City Law School, came into the University.
1945 — The first doctoral programs were authorized in the fields of Chemistry, Physiological Chemistry and Education.
1945 — The College of Nursing, which began as a program in the College of the City of Detroit, became a separate college.
1946 — The School of Business Administration, originating in the College of Liberal Arts, became the tenth academic unit in the University.
1956 — Wayne University became Wayne State University by Act 183 of Michigan Public Acts of 1956.
1959 — Monteith College was established.
1959 — Wayne State University became a constitutionally established University by popularly adopted amendment to the Michigan Constitution.
1964 — The Division of Urban Extension was established.
1973 — The College of Lifelong Learning was established as successor to the Division of Urban Extension.
1973 — The College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions was established.
1985 — The School of Fine and Performing Arts and the College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs were established.
1989 — The name of the School of Fine and Performing Arts was changed to the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts.
1993 —The College of Science was established.
2001 — The name of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions was changed to the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
2002 — The College of Lifelong Learning was discontinued and its programs transferred to other units.
2004 — The College of Liberal Arts and the College of Science were merged into the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
2005 — The College of Urban, Labor and Metropolitan Affairs was discontinued and its programs transferred to other units.
2008 — The Irvin D. Reid Honors College was established.
2009 — The Library and Information Science Program was established as the School of Library and Information Science.
2011 — The Warrior football team made its first appearance in the NCAA Division II championship game.
Location of the University Maps
More than 100 buildings provide housing for the services, instructional and research needs of the University and its students and staff. Most academic and service units of the University are located on the main campus in Midtown of Detroit, largely bounded by York Street on the north, Woodward Avenue on the east, Forest Avenue on the south and Trumbull Street on the west. The major classroom, laboratory, library and other academic buildings are located east of the John C. Lodge Freeway; most of the athletics and recreational facilities are on the west side of the freeway.
The School of Medicine and its affiliated teaching hospitals and clinics are located a short distance south and east of the main campus in the Detroit Medical Center. The Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is also located on the medical campus. Certain smaller instructional and service units are located in other parts of the metropolitan area.