Records and Registration

Office of the Registrar

In Person Services: Student Service Center, Welcome Center, 42 West Warren
Mailing Address: 5057 Woodward; Suite 5101, Detroit, MI 48202
Telephone: 313-577-3550, Fax: 313-577-7870

The Office of the Registrar supports the instructional, research and service missions of the University by providing a wide variety of academic services to students, faculty and staff. The office consists of several units: The Office of the Registrar prepares academic calendars, assesses tuition and fees, determines residency, and reviews all appeals for exceptions to University enrollment policies. Records and Registration oversees registration, adds, drops, course withdrawals, grading, student personal and academic data, and transcripts/academic records. Curricular Services oversees the preparation of each term's Schedule of Classes, degree audit tools, graduation applications and diplomas. Transfer Credit evaluates coursework from other universities for undergraduate credit at Wayne State University.


Registration is the process of officially enrolling in classes for a particular term. Students can view the Class Schedule online, add courses to their cart, and complete registration within Academica. A student may not attend any class for which he/she is not officially registered.

POST-BACHELOR STATUS: Students wanting graduate credit should NOT register ‘post-bachelor.’ This status allows students holding bachelor’s degrees from accredited institutions to elect only courses open to undergraduate students (numbered below 7000), which may be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements for graduate admission. Credits for courses elected as a post-bachelor student do not count toward graduate credit.


Academica is a secure gateway that provides unified access to Wayne State information, services, and computing systems. This comprehensive environment is a one-stop location where WSU students, faculty, and staff can conveniently use online self-service functions and easily access many computing systems, such as the Wayne Connect Email system and the Blackboard Learning System. Using Academica, students also have continual access to specific information and helpful tools needed for communication, collaboration, teaching and learning, and University administration. Current students can use secure self-services to check financial aid, register for and drop/add classes, pay tuition and fees, check holds and final grades, obtain enrollment verifications and transcripts, self-register for training programs/workshops, and more.

Accessing Academica requires a valid WSU Access ID (e.g., xy6789) and password. As soon as a student applies for admission or an employee is hired, a unique Access ID is automatically created. The university's Help Desk services can provide technical assistance if necessary.

Degree Works

Degree Works is a degree tracking tool that allows you to see your progress toward graduation and help you and your advisor determine which courses you still need to take. Along with your advisor, you can also map out which courses you will take in future semesters, putting you on the right path for graduation.

Drop/Add — Adjusting Your Schedule

Registered students may drop and/or add classes on the date(s) indicated on the Registration Calendar. Note the following requirements:

  1. The regulations pertaining to dropping and adding courses are stated as they pertain to regular courses fifteen weeks or more in duration. These regulations are applied proportionately to courses that are offered for less than fifteen weeks. Students can click on the Course Reference Number (CRN) on the class schedule website to view specific deadline dates for each course(s). Students can also contact the Registration Office for any questions regarding these regulations.
  2. Students who do not officially drop their courses within the first two weeks of classes are financially obligated to pay for the courses even if they have not attended any class sessions.
  3. Students who officially drop full term courses before the conclusion of the first two weeks of classes (for the Fall and Winter terms) are entitled to 100% tuition cancellation, and the courses do not appear on the students' academic records.
  4. Students are not permitted to add courses after the first week of the term without instructor and departmental permission. Departments are required to enter a late add permit/override for students if exceptions are made to permit adding of classes during the second week.
  5. Effective Fall 2018, the withdrawal period starts after the second week of classes, and lasts through the tenth week. The withdrawal will include a notation on the academic record of 'WP' - Passing, 'WF' - Failing, or 'WN' - No Basis for Letter Grade. Students are required to submit their withdrawal through Academica for their instructors' approval. Once logged into Academica, click the Student tab, under Registration from the Student Services menu, choose Withdraw from a Class, follow the prompts on each page. Before a withdrawal request is sent to the instructor, undergraduate and Masters level students will be required to complete a SMART Check. See the Financial Aid website for more information.
  6. Students are not permitted to withdraw from courses after the end of the tenth week of class for full term classes. The withdrawal deadlines are published in each term's academic and registration calendar. Withdrawal dates for less than full term courses are adjusted proportionally. Late withdrawal requests will not be approved. Medical withdrawal requests have separate deadlines.

Classes for which a grade has been earned cannot be withdrawn.

College of Engineering: Students are not permitted to withdraw from courses after the fifth week of classes without written approval of their advisor. Some departments have more stringent restrictions on withdrawing from courses.

University Grading System

Final grades are available on Academica. Grades are not mailed to students. Final grades are recorded under the following system.

Undergraduate Grades

A Excellent 4.00 grade points per credit
A-minus Excellent 3.67 grade points per credit
ANC Excellent no credit
B-plus Good 3.33 grade points per credit
B Good 3.00 grade points per credit
B-minus Good 2.67 grade points per credit
BNC Good no credit
C-plus Fair 2.33 grade points per credit
C Fair 2.00 grade points per credit
C-minus Fair 1.67 grade points per credit
CNC Fair no credit
D-plus Poor 1.33 grade points per credit
D Poor 1.00 grade points per credit
D-minus Poor 0.67 grade points per credit
F Failure 0.00 grade points per credit
P Passed
PNC Pass no credit
N Not passed
NNC Not passed no credit
S Satisfactory
SNC Satisfactory no credit
U Unsatisfactory
UNC Unsatisfactory no credit
M Marginal pass

P, N, S, U, M, ANC, BNC, CNC, UNC, SNC, PNC, MNC, and NNC grades are not reflected in the grade point average.

NR — No grade reported by the instructor.

P or N —Passed or Not Passed (undergraduate students only). These grades do not affect grade point averages, but undergraduate courses completed with grade of P may count toward a degree.

S, M, or U — Satisfactory, Marginal, or Unsatisfactory performance in non-degree courses and in certain designated courses such as field work, practicums and internships. These grades do not affect grade point averages.


The mark of I (Incomplete) is given to a student when he/she has not completed all of the course work as planned for the term and when there is, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that the student will complete the course successfully without again attending regular class sessions. The student should be passing at the time the grade of I is given. A written contract specifying the work to be completed should be signed by the student and instructor. Responsibility for completing all course work rests with the student.

The mark of I will be changed to a letter grade when the student completes the course work as arranged with the instructor or, if the instructor has left the University, with the Chairperson of the department or other instructional unit. Work must be completed within one calendar year. There are NO extensions.

The mark of I will not be awarded if, in the instructor's judgment, it is necessary for the student to attend subsequent sessions of the class. If regular attendance is necessary to complete coursework, the student must register for the class for the semester in which attendance is planned. The student will be assessed tuition and applicable fees for the second registration. If the student decides to register for the course, subsequent to the assignment of an I, then the mark of I for the original election will be changed to a Withdrawal/Passing (WP), and the student will be responsible for tuition and applicable fees for the second registration. Students are responsible for notifying their department and the department offering the course that they have reregistered for the course so that the I is not changed to an F.

Any unchanged mark of I will, within one calendar year from the time it was received, be changed to a grade of F or failure. This will not be changed after the I is replaced.

The mark of WF (Official Withdrawal Failing) is given when the student withdraws from the course in accordance with University policy and the student had earned a failing grade as of the date the withdrawal is approved.

The mark of WN (Official Withdrawal No Basis for Letter Grade) is given to students when there is no basis for a letter grade.

The mark of WP (Official Withdrawal Passing) is given when the student drops the course in accordance with University policy and the student had earned a passing grade as of the date the withdrawal is approved.

The mark of Y (Deferred) is given when the student is up-to-date in the work of a course planned to continue beyond the semester (i.e., essay, thesis, dissertation and certain courses taken in sequence).

The mark of Z (Auditor) is given when the student has formally registered for the course for audit. The student's Academic Dean or his/ her designee must provide written audit authorization to the student at the time of registration.

Change of Grades and Marks

Once recorded in the Office of the Registrar, grades/marks will be changed only if the instructor posts the grade change in the online grade/mark change system in Academica. Most changes must be posted within one calendar year. (Deferred (Y) grades are the exception.) Failure grades that are posted as a result of a student not completing an incomplete course may not be changed. After a degree has been awarded, the grades associated with that degree may not be changed. Other change of grades or marks older than a year must be approved by the department chair and the Associate Dean of the school or college that offered the course.

Grade Point Average

The grade point average (g.p.a.) is the numerical index of the student’s scholastic average. Points are assigned to each letter grade (see University Grading System, above) for each hour of credit. To compute your grade point average, multiply the grade points assigned to each course grade by the number of credits for each course; add the results and divide by the total number of credits.

For example, a grade of A in a class carrying 3 credits would be assigned 12 grade points (3 x 4), and a grade of C in a class carrying 4 credits would be assigned 8 grade points (4 x 2). In this example, the grade point average is: 20 (total grade points) divided by 7 (total credits attempted) = 2.85 g.p.a.

Credit for special examinations, transfer credit, and courses in which a mark of I W, WF, WN, or WP or a grade of S, U, M, P, and N, has been earned are excluded from grade point average computation.

Law School: This grade point system does not apply to Law School students.

Passed — Not Passed Program

The University has a program whereby undergraduate students may elect to take courses in which they will be marked as Passed (P) or Not Passed (N) in place of a letter grade. The following regulations apply:

  1. The student may elect one P-N course per semester with the consent of an advisor, but he/she may not elect more than six courses in all.
  2. After classes have begun, a student may not change from Passed/Not Passed to a letter grade election or vice versa.
  3. Courses taken for P-N may be used to satisfy competency requirements; however, no course taken on this basis may be used to fulfill specific group or major requirements.
  4. Credits for a P-N course may be used to fulfill graduation requirements but will not count in the grade point average. In the event the student enrolls in more than six P-N courses, those beyond the permissible maximum will be designated on the permanent record as not applicable toward graduation.

Mike Ilitch School of Business: Students in the School of Business may not take courses offered by the School of Business on a passed / not passed basis.

Repeating Courses — The mark of R


If an undergraduate student repeats a course and completes it with a grade of A, B, C, D, or E, the following rules will apply in posting the students cumulative record:

  1. The grade, grade points and credits for an earlier attempt will be eliminated from the student’s grade point average computation.
  2. The grade, grade points and credits of only the latest repetition will be included in the student’s grade point average computation.
  3. An R on the student’s academic record will replace the original grade in the course repeated under this rule. Thus, the indicator R will appear for all attempts in a course except the last.


If an undergraduate student repeats a course and completes it with a grade of A, A-minus, ANC, B-plus, B, B-minus, BNC, C-plus, C, C- minus, CNC, D-plus, D, D-minus, or E, the following rules will apply in posting the student’s cumulative record:

  1. The grade, grade points and credits for an earlier attempt will be eliminated from the student’s grade point average computation.
  2. The grade, grade points and credits of only the latest retake will be included in the student’s grade point average computation.
  3. The original grade in the course repeated under this rule will remain on the student’s academic record. Earlier attempts will be flagged for exclusion in the g.p.a. calculation and the latest attempt will be flagged for inclusion in the g.p.a. calculation.

If an undergraduate student repeats a course and completes it with a grade of A, A-minus, ANC, B-plus, B, B-minus, BNC, C-plus, C, C- minus, CNC, D-plus, D, D-minus, or F, the following rules will apply in posting the student's cumulative record:

  1. No student shall attempt to take a class more than four (4) times (for a definition of "attempt," see 5, below).
  2. If a student anticipates an attempt to take a class for the third (3rd) time, he/she must meet with an academic advisor to receive permission for this attempt.
  3. If a student anticipates an attempt to take a class for the fourth (4th) time, he/she must obtain written permission from the chair (or his/her designee) of the department offering the course and the chair (or his/her designee) of the student's home department.
  4. When a course is repeated, credit is only granted once. The last grade and credit hours for a repeated course are used in computing a student's grade point average and for awarding credit hours applicable for a degree even if lower than the previous grade. However, a grade of WP (Withdrawal/Passing, no credit) or WF (Withdrawal/Failure, no credit) or I (Incomplete, no credit) will not replace a previous grade or credit hours for a course. All attempts to take a course will be recorded on a student's transcript, whatever the last grade and credit hours awarded may be.
  5. Withdrawals, incompletes, as well as courses repeated in an effort to earn higher grades will count as attempts. If a student drops the class before a W would appear on the transcript, this is not counted as an attempt, i.e. the student does a drop or a drop/add to another course. If tuition has been assessed and the time for refunding tuition has passed but the time for having a W appear on the transcript has not, the tuition will not be refunded, but the registration will not count towards the allowed attempts.
  6. Any student who has repeated three different courses must meet with an academic advisor for permission to repeat another course.
  7. There shall be an appeals process to the dean's office of the colleges offering the course and the student's home department.

After a degree has been granted, no grade computed in that degree may be changed.

If a post-bachelor status student repeats a course originally taken under regular undergraduate status, the repeat will in no way modify the earlier attempt. The second election, however, will be averaged in the grade point base.

Mike Ilitch School of Business: No course in which a student has received a passing grade or mark may be retaken without the prior written approval of the Director of Student Services of the Mike Ilitch School of Business.

College of Engineering: No course may be retaken without the prior written approval of the respective department's Graduate Program Chairperson and the Associate Dean of Engineering for Graduate Studies. Students may not retake any course in which a grade of ‘A’ or ‘B’ was received.

Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: No course may be retaken without the consent of the advisor(s) delegated for each professional curriculum.

Transfer of Undergraduate Credits

Wayne State University policy accepts transfer credit from all accredited institutions of higher education, both community colleges and baccalaureate-granting colleges and universities.

No transfer grades apply in computing Wayne State grade point averages.

Transfer Credit from Regionally Accredited Institutions: Wayne State University will accept equivalent academic credit from regionally accredited baccalaureate-granting institutions, and up to sixty-four semester credits from community colleges and other regionally accredited institutions which offer Associate Degrees. (All credits will be evaluated in the latter case; the most relevant sixty-four credits will apply to the degree.) Courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher to transfer in to Wayne State.

Credit from Institutions NOT Regionally Accredited: Wayne State University will accept transfer credit from other accredited institutions, provided that the institution:

  1. grants a baccalaureate or associate degree;
  2. is fully accredited by an agency recognized by the Council on Postsecondary Education (COPA); and
  3. the courses presented for transfer are shown to have equivalency or are determined to be of a traditional academic nature.

Transfer Credit from Institutions in Candidacy Status: Wayne State University will accept for transfer those credits for which a grade of B or higher was earned from institutions with candidacy status from a regional accrediting agency.

Technical, Vocational and Applied Credit: To facilitate transfer of students, Wayne State University will accept for transfer up to twelve semester credits earned in technical, vocational and applied (TVA) courses at two- and four-year colleges if such courses are determined to be related to a student’s intended program. For students transferring from associate degree granting institutions, the twelve TVA credits will be included in the sixty-four credit limitation.

Transfer of Remedial or Developmental Course Work: Credit earned in courses designated remedial or developmental will not transfer.

Transfer of Redundant or Duplicative Course Work: Transfer credit will not be awarded for redundant course work (i.e., courses with substantially duplicative content). Credit will be awarded for only one course in any set of redundant courses.

Residency and Upper Division Requirements: Transfer students will be required to meet the University and College residency requirements and to obtain the same number of upper division credits in fulfillment of the baccalaureate degree as are required of native students in specific major programs.

Junior Standing: Wayne State University will award junior standing to all transfer students for whom fifty-six or more transferable semester credits have been accumulated, whether they are transferred credits or credit earned at Wayne State University. Junior standing will not guarantee automatic entry to major and professional programs in the Schools and Colleges. Transcripts will be individually evaluated to determine whether all prerequisites for major and professional standing have been met by native and transfer students.

Advanced Placement Tests

Superior performance in the College Board Advanced Placement Tests will entitle an entering freshman to consideration for advanced placement and/or advanced standing credit in the areas covered by the examination. These areas include American history, European history, art history, studio art, biology, chemistry, computer science, English, French, German, Latin, Spanish, mathematics, music literature, music theory, and physics. Advanced placement and/or advanced standing credit will be awarded and such credit may satisfy General Education Requirements (see General Education Program) in accordance with policies adopted by the appropriate Department. Interested students should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

College-Level Examination Program

The College Board sponsors the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). This program gives students and prospective students the opportunity to demonstrate their academic proficiency at the freshman-sophomore college level in various areas and in specific subjects whether or not they have had previous formal college instruction in materials covered by the tests. As described by the College Board, the examinations are intended to provide a comprehensive measure of undergraduate achievement in the five basic areas of the liberal arts:

  • English composition
  • humanities
  • mathematics
  • natural sciences 
  • social sciences

They are not intended to measure advanced training in any specific discipline, but rather to assess a student's knowledge of fundamental facts and concepts, his/her ability to perceive relationships and his/her understanding of the basic principles of a subject. The content of the Examinations is similar to the content of those subjects ordinarily included in the program of study required of most general education students in the first two years of college.

The Subject Examinations are essentially end-of-course tests developed for widely taught undergraduate courses. They measure understanding of basic facts and concepts, as well as the ability to apply such understanding to the solution of problems and the interpretation of materials. Questions that require of a student only rote recall are avoided.

Superior performance in these examinations will be considered as a basis for granting advanced placement and/or advanced standing credit as well as for waiving parts of the General Education Requirements of the University (see General Education Program). For further information, please consult advisors, school or college offices, or University Advising Center at 313-577-8889.

Credit by Special Examination

Upon the recommendation of the Department Chairperson and with the written approval of the appropriate College or School office, a student may earn credit in a course in which he/she has not been regularly enrolled in this University, but which is offered by a Department, by passing a special examination. Credit by a special examination is restricted as follows:

  1. Not more than sixteen credits may be earned in any one subject.
  2. Credit will be recorded with grade to indicate the level of performance in the examination but will not be considered in computing grade point average.
  3. Credit will not be considered residence credit.
  4. To be eligible to earn Credit by Special Examination, a student must have been regularly admitted or have attended with guest status, have enrolled for one semester and have completed at least one course. 

Students who intend to transfer to other schools are cautioned that Credit by Special Examination at one institution is infrequently accepted for transfer credit by another institution.

Transcript Request Policy

Official transcripts bear the seal of the University and the signature of the Registrar. They are sent directly to the receiving party. Transcripts are issued free of charge, up to ten copies per year. A fee of $5.00 per transcript is charged for copies in excess of ten. A fee of $20.00 is assessed for each emergency transcript. An emergency transcript is one which is mailed for overnight delivery. The next day service only applies to street addresses (No Post Office Boxes) within North America. Next day service requests must be received by 1:00 p.m.

Students may request transcripts via Academica. There are no on demand transcript requests. Due to the signature requirement for releasing educational records, the University cannot accept telephone requests for transcripts.

Transcripts are not issued to anyone outside the University without the written permission of the student. Requests for official transcripts will not be honored if the student or former student has an outstanding financial obligation to the University.

For students who have been in attendance since the year 2000, transcripts can be sent electronically. A valid email address must be provided.

Release of Student Records

The University recognizes the educational records of students as being privileged and has a policy designed to ensure that this information is not improperly divulged without the consent of the student. The University is subject to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and has promulgated regulations pursuant thereto. Copies of the regulations and a list of student records maintained by the University are available for inspection in the Office of the Registrar. The University reserves the right to provide anonymous academic information to other schools and colleges when it is to be used for curriculum evaluation purposes. 

Michigan's Freedom of Information Act 

The Freedom of Information Act (PA 242) provides that a member of the public, in accordance with certain guidelines, has a right to inspect and receive copies of public records maintained by the University. A public record is broadly defined and includes written documents, pictures, recordings, punch cards, magnetic cards, etc., which are maintained by the University in the course of official responsibilities. However, certain records are exempt from disclosure.

The Media Relations Office, located in 3100 Academic/Administrative Building, is responsible for accepting requests for public records, and the Director of that office is the University officer in charge of providing this service. Under statute, a fee can be charged for records released and is based on the cost of labor involved in the search, examination and duplication of records, as well as the mailing costs. Only the Office of General Counsel may authorize the denial of a FOIA request.

Student Directory Information

Effective Winter Term 2000, and updated Spring/Summer 2017, Wayne State University policy permits the release of certain Student Directory information. The specific items are: name, university-provided email address, major, classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.), participation in official recognized activities, including sports, height and weight of member of athletic teams, degree(s) received from Wayne State University, and honors and or/academic awards received.

Unless a student informs the Office of the Registrar that he or she does not want this information released, it will be available to third parties on request. In addition, the student’s name, WSU e-mail address, College/School, and major will be visible in the University’s Electronic Directory on the Internet. Students who do not want this information released must formally request withholding by completing the Release of Directory Information form, available from the Office of the Registrar.

WSU OneCard

The WSU OneCard is a multi-purpose identification and debit card all in one. It is a convenient, easy-to-use card designed to provide stu dents with access to a wide variety of campus services including. parking, door access, copying and printing services food and book-store purchases, and more, all without having to use cash. The OneCard is needed to access the fitness center, the complimentary campus shuttle and serves as the Library Card for the WSU Libraries. Students should contact the OneCard Office for complete details.

Retention and Graduation Data

The following information provided by the National Student Clearinghouse reflects 4-year and 6-year graduation and retention rates of the Fall 2010 cohort. Decisions by students to complete degree programs in more than four years varies from personal to programmatic to economic reasons. Additionally, some students in the 2010 cohort have graduated or will eventually graduate at other institutions through transfer or pre-baccalaureate entry into professional programs.

The Fall 2010 cohort consisting of 2400 students tracked by the Clearinghouse for periods of four years and six years shows:

Table 1

Description At the End of 4-years At the End of 6-years
4-year degree from WSU 13% 39%
4-year degree from other institution 1% 6%
2-year degree from other institution 2% 5%
Certificate from other institution 1% 1%
Retained at Wayne State University 41% 11%
Retained at other 4-year institution 8% 6%
Retained at other 2-year institution 13% 8%
Not retained, not completed 22% 24%

Decisions by students to complete degree programs in more than four years varies from personal to programmatic to economic reasons. Additionally, some students in the 2010 cohort have graduated or will eventually graduate at other institutions through transfer or pre-baccalaureate entry into professional programs.