Academic Regulations for the College of Engineering

For complete information regarding the academic rules and regulations of the University, students should consult the Academic Regulations section of this bulletin. The following additions and amendments pertain to the College of Engineering.


After receiving credentials from the Office of Admissions, and before registration, a student should contact the graduate advisor in his/her major department (see the following list) for details of program planning and to discuss requirements and course work.

Academic Scholarship

A graduate degree is evidence of scholarly achievement, academic excellence, critical and creative abilities, the capacity to apply and interpret what has been learned, and proper use of the work of others. Continuance in graduate status is contingent on satisfactory scholarship with grades of ‘B’ or better. Every effort is made to assist the student whose work suffers as a result of conditions beyond his/ her control.

Graduate students are required to earn a g.p.a. of 3.0 (‘B’ average) or better in all graduate-level subjects taken at WSU in order to satisfy degree requirements. Students whose cumulative g.p.a. falls below 3.0 are placed on probation, and the performance of these students is closely monitored by the departmental graduate committee. Students who fail to remediate this probationary status within eight credits after being placed on probation are subject to termination from the graduate program.

Any grade lower than ‘B-minus’ in a core course MUST be repeated. (The Industrial and Systems Engineering Department requires students to repeat core courses in which they have received a grade of ‘B-minus’ or lower. The Biomedical Engineering Department will not count any course with a grade lower than a ‘B-minus’ towards degree requirements.) No more than two courses may be repeated in a graduate program (the Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Mechanical Engineering Departments permit the repetition of only one course), and a student must have the appropriate approvals BEFORE the repeat registration takes place. These two repeats may consist of a second attempt of two separate courses or two repeat attempts of a single course. Per University policy, any course in which a mark appears on the student's transcript (including WN, WP, or WF) counts as an attempt to earn credit in that course. These attempts are therefore factored into the assessment of allowed repeats unless an exception is granted during the semester of the withdrawal (see below). 'F' grades earned while in the College of Engineering may be the basis for immediate termination. Consult each department for additional requirements.

All course work must be completed in accordance with the academic procedures of the College of Engineering and the Graduate School governing graduate scholarship and degrees. University rules require an overall g.p.a. of 3.0 or higher for graduation, in all graduate work completed at Wayne State.

Plan of Work

Students who have been admitted into a graduate program in the College of Engineering are required to meet with their graduate program advisor before registering for their first term, and then to enroll in those courses mutually decided upon. During the first semester of their graduate program, in consultation with their graduate advisor, all graduate students must develop a Plan of Work that determines their anticipated schedule for each term.

Students who fail to meet with their graduate advisor before registration or who do not have an approved Plan of Work may be administratively withdrawn from their classes if, in the opinion of the graduate program advisor, they are not taking classes appropriate to their program.

If a student has been admitted to one graduate program and decides not to pursue that program, the student MUST obtain admission to another graduate program, or he/she must withdraw from the University. To obtain admission into another program, the student must meet all the admission requirements for that program and must provide the required admission documents. Approval of the transfer of program by the original admitting program is required. International students on a student visa must also amend their I-20 form at the University Office of International Students and Scholars to reflect the change in program.

Directed Study

Independent study may be authorized and applied to completion of degree requirements provided the area of interest is an integral part of the student's graduate program and is not covered by scheduled courses. Students who elect a directed study are required to submit a Directed Study Authorization Form, which includes a description of the proposed directed study, with the necessary signatures, prior to registration.

Withdrawal from Courses

Engineering students are expected to assess early in the semester if they have appropriate time and background to successfully complete a course. Therefore, following University policy, all courses for which a grade or mark (including WN, WP, and WF) appears on the transcript will count as an attempt at a course. Students may drop a course within the first two weeks of the semester without a notation appearing on the transcript. Starting with the fifth week of the semester, a withdrawal will be noted on a student's transcript. If a student feels that extenuating circumstances beyond his or her control justify the withdrawal and support its not being counted as an attempt at the course, a petition must be submitted for consideration to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs during the semester in which the course is taken. If the petition is approved, the withdrawal mark will remain on the transcript but a notation will be made in the student's advising record to not count it as an attempt for assessment of allowed repeats.

Cross-Registration Opportunities

Students are encouraged to consider incorporating into their course of study up to two courses elected in any of three exchange arrangements: the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Studies Program (MIGS), the University of Windsor — WSU, Exchange Program Agreement). and Dual Enrollment with the University of Michigan. The latter enrollment may be utilized at both the Ann Arbor and Dearborn campuses. Consult the graduate advisor and the Dean’s Office for information and application forms applicable to these programs.