Records and Registration

Office of the Registrar

In Person Services: Student Service Center, Welcome Center, 42 West Warren
Mailing Address: 5057 Woodward; Suite 5101, Detroit, MI 48202
Telephone: 313-577-3550, Fax: 313-577-7870

The Office of the Registrar supports the instructional, research and service missions of the University by providing a wide variety of academic services to students, faculty and staff. The office consists of several units: The Office of the Registrar prepares academic calendars, assesses tuition and fees, determines residency, and reviews all appeals for exceptions to University enrollment policies. Records and Registration oversees registration, adds, drops, course withdrawals, grading, student personal and academic data, and transcripts/academic records. Curricular Services oversees the preparation of each term's Schedule of Classes, degree audit tools, graduation applications and diplomas. Transfer Credit evaluates coursework from other universities for undergraduate credit at Wayne State University.


Registration is the process of officially enrolling in classes for a particular term. Students can view the Class Schedule online, add courses to their cart, and complete registration within Academica. A student may not attend any class for which he/she is not officially registered.

POST-BACHELOR STATUS: Students wanting graduate credit should NOT register ‘post-bachelor.’ This status allows students holding bachelor’s degrees from accredited institutions to elect only courses open to undergraduate students (numbered below 7000), which may be used to fulfill prerequisite requirements for graduate admission. Credits for courses elected as a post-bachelor student do not count toward graduate credit.


Academica is a secure gateway that provides unified access to Wayne State information, services, and computing systems. This comprehensive environment is a one-stop location where WSU students, faculty, and staff can conveniently use online self-service functions and easily access many computing systems, such as the Wayne Connect Email system and the Blackboard Learning System. Using Academica, students also have continual access to specific information and helpful tools needed for communication, collaboration, teaching and learning, and University administration. Current students can use secure self-services to check financial aid, register for and drop/add classes, pay tuition and fees, check holds and final grades, obtain enrollment verifications and transcripts, self-register for training programs/workshops, and more.

Accessing Academica requires a valid WSU Access ID (e.g., xy6789) and password. As soon as a student applies for admission or an employee is hired, a unique Access ID is automatically created. The university's Help Desk services can provide technical assistance if necessary.

Degree Works

Degree Works is a degree tracking tool that allows you to see your progress toward graduation and help you and your advisor determine which courses you still need to take. Along with your advisor, you can also map out which courses you will take in future semesters, putting you on the right path for graduation.

Drop/Add — Adjusting Your Schedule

Registered students may drop and/or add classes on the date(s) indicated on the Registration Calendar. Note the following requirements:

  1. The regulations pertaining to dropping and adding courses are stated as they pertain to regular courses fifteen weeks or more in duration. These regulations are applied proportionately to courses that are offered for less than fifteen weeks. Students can click on the Course Reference Number (CRN) on the class schedule website to view specific deadline dates for each course(s). Students can also contact the Registration Office for any questions regarding these regulations.
  2. Students who do not officially drop their courses within the first two weeks of classes are financially obligated to pay for the courses even if they have not attended any class sessions.
  3. Students who officially drop full term courses before the conclusion of the first two weeks of classes (for the Fall and Winter terms) are entitled to 100% tuition cancellation, and the courses do not appear on the students' academic records.
  4. Students are not permitted to add courses after the first week of the term without instructor and departmental permission. Departments are required to enter a late add permit/override for students if exceptions are made to permit adding of classes during the second week.
  5. Effective Fall 2018, the withdrawal period starts after the second week of classes, and lasts through the tenth week. The withdrawal will include a notation on the academic record of 'WP' - Passing, 'WF' - Failing, or 'WN' - No Basis for Letter Grade. Students are required to submit their withdrawal through Academica for their instructors' approval. Once logged into Academica, click the Student tab, under Registration from the Student Services menu, choose Withdraw from a Class, follow the prompts on each page. Before a withdrawal request is sent to the instructor, undergraduate and Masters level students will be required to complete a SMART Check. See the Financial Aid website for more information.
  6. Students are not permitted to withdraw from courses after the end of the tenth week of class for full term classes. The withdrawal deadlines are published in each term's academic and registration calendar. Withdrawal dates for less than full term courses are adjusted proportionally. Late withdrawal requests will not be approved. Medical withdrawal requests have separate deadlines.

Classes for which a grade has been earned cannot be withdrawn.

College of Engineering: Students are not permitted to withdraw from courses after the fifth week of classes without written approval of their advisor. Some departments have more stringent restrictions on withdrawing from courses.

University Grading System

Final grades are available on Academica. Grades are not mailed to students. Final grades are recorded under the following system.

Graduate Grades

The graduate grading system is intended to reflect higher standards of critical and creative scholarship than those applied at the undergraduate level. To receive a graduate grade in courses open to both undergraduate and graduate students, the graduate student is expected to do work of superior quality and is required to do any additional work specified by the instructor.

To be awarded a graduate degree, a student must have achieved at least a 'B' (3.0) overall grade point average. Grades of 'B-minus' and below are unsatisfactory for graduate level work. A limited number of 'B-minus', 'C-plus,' or 'C', though unsatisfactory, may be applied toward a graduate degree provided they are offset by a sufficient number of higher grades to maintain a grade point average of 3.0 Grades below 'B' can constitute reason for dismissal from a program at the department or program's discretion. Students should consult with their departments and advisors regarding unsatisfactory grades and their impact on good academic standing. All graduate teaching assistants and graduate research assistants must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in order to continue their assistantship appointments. Every effort is made to assist students whose work suffers as a result of a condition beyond their control, or interruption of study for military service.

Law School and School of Medicine: This grading system does not apply to Law School students in the J.D. program or students in the four-year M.D. program of the School of Medicine. Students enrolled in those programs should see the appropriate sections of this bulletin and should consult with appropriate Program Directors for more information.

Final grades for graduate courses are recorded under the following system.
A Excellent 4.0 per credit hour
A-minus 3.67 per credit hour
B-plus 3.33 per credit hour
B Good 3.0 per credit hour
B-minus Below Graduate Standards 2.67 per credit hour
C-plus Below Graduate Standards 2.33 per credit hour
C Below Graduate Standards 2.0 per credit hour
F Failure 0 per credit hour
M Marginal Pass in designated courses such as field work, practicums and internships (not considered in calculation of grade point average)
S and U Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory performance in non-degree courses and in certain designated courses such as field work, practicums and internships. The grade of ‘S’ is given for all dissertation credits upon final acceptance of the dissertation in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Ph.D. and Ed.D. degrees. ‘S’ and ‘U’ grades are not considered in the calculation of the grade point average but courses completed with an ‘S’ grade may count toward a degree


The mark of I (Incomplete) is given to a student when he/she has not completed all of the course work as planned for the term and when there is, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that the student will complete the course successfully without again attending regular class sessions. The student should be passing at the time the grade of I is given. A written contract specifying the work to be completed should be signed by the student and instructor. Responsibility for completing all course work rests with the student.

The mark of I will be changed to a letter grade when the student completes the course work as arranged with the instructor or, if the instructor has left the University, with the Chairperson of the department or other instructional unit. Work must be completed within one calendar year. There are NO extensions.

The mark of I will not be awarded if, in the instructor's judgment, it is necessary for the student to attend subsequent sessions of the class. If regular attendance is necessary to complete coursework, the student must register for the class for the semester in which attendance is planned. The student will be assessed tuition and applicable fees for the second registration. If the student decides to register for the course, subsequent to the assignment of an I, then the mark of I for the original election will be changed to a Withdrawal/Passing (WP), and the student will be responsible for tuition and applicable fees for the second registration. Students are responsible for notifying their department and the department offering the course that they have reregistered for the course so that the I is not changed to an F.

Any unchanged mark of I will, within one calendar year from the time it was received, be changed to a grade of F or failure. This will not be changed after the I is replaced.

The mark of WF (Official Withdrawal Failing) is given when the student withdraws from the course in accordance with University policy and the student had earned a failing grade as of the date the withdrawal is approved.

The mark of WN (Official Withdrawal No Basis for Letter Grade) is given to students when there is no basis for a letter grade.

The mark of WP (Official Withdrawal Passing) is given when the student drops the course in accordance with University policy and the student had earned a passing grade as of the date the withdrawal is approved.

The mark of Y (Deferred) is given when the student is up-to-date in the work of a course planned to continue beyond the semester (i.e., essay, thesis, dissertation and certain courses taken in sequence).

The mark of Z (Auditor) is given when the student has formally registered for the course for audit. The student's Academic Dean or his/ her designee must provide written audit authorization to the student at the time of registration.

Change of Grades and Marks

Once recorded in the Office of the Registrar, grades/marks will be changed only if the instructor posts the grade change in the online grade/mark change system in Academica. Most changes must be posted within one calendar year. (Deferred (Y) grades are the exception.) Failure grades that are posted as a result of a student not completing an incomplete course may not be changed. After a degree has been awarded, the grades associated with that degree may not be changed. Other change of grades or marks older than a year must be approved by the department chair and the Associate Dean of the school or college that offered the course.

Grade Point Average

The grade point average (g.p.a.) is the numerical index of the student’s scholastic average. Points are assigned to each letter grade (see University Grading System, above) for each hour of credit. To compute your grade point average, multiply the grade points assigned to each course grade by the number of credits for each course; add the results and divide by the total number of credits.

For example, a grade of A in a class carrying 3 credits would be assigned 12 grade points (3 x 4), and a grade of C in a class carrying 4 credits would be assigned 8 grade points (4 x 2). In this example, the grade point average is: 20 (total grade points) divided by 7 (total credits attempted) = 2.85 g.p.a.

Credit for special examinations, transfer credit, and courses in which a mark of I W, WF, WN, or WP or a grade of S, U, M, P, and N, has been earned are excluded from grade point average computation.

Law School: This grade point system does not apply to Law School students.

Retaking Courses

Graduate Students: A graduate program may, if it wishes, allow a student to retake a graduate course in which the student earned a grade of ‘B-minus’ or lower. This prerogative is exercised by the program through the use of the override provisions in the University’s registration system which will prevent students from independently retaking courses. The number of courses and the number times a course may be retaken is determined by the program. The original grade for the course will remain on the student's transcript, but only the final grade received in retaking of the course will be used in computation of the student's  grade point average. Students  will not receive University financial aid for courses that are retaken. It is the student’s responsibility to be apprised of his/her program’s repeat policy.

Mike Ilitch School of Business: No course in which a student has received a passing grade or mark may be retaken without the prior written approval of the Director of Student Services of the Mike Ilitch School of Business.

College of Engineering: No course may be retaken without the prior written approval of the respective department's Graduate Program Chairperson and the Associate Dean of Engineering for Graduate Studies. Students may not retake any course in which a grade of ‘A’ or ‘B’ was received.

Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: No course may be retaken without the consent of the advisor(s) delegated for each professional curriculum.

Credit by Examination

A student wishing to obtain credit toward an advanced degree for knowledge essential to his/her program of study, acquired by means precluding formal transfer to Wayne State University, may petition for an advanced credit examination in a course or courses covering the relevant area of study. The petition requesting such advanced credit shall state the basis for the request in terms of the student's competence at the graduate level in the particular academic area. The established examination fee must be paid before the examination is taken. All grades will be recorded on the student's transcript. Such grades will not be used in computing the grade point average. The fulfillment of any requirement through credit by examination does not relieve the student of the residence requirement for degree.

Transcript Request Policy

Official transcripts bear the seal of the University and the signature of the Registrar. They are sent directly to the receiving party. Transcripts are issued free of charge, up to ten copies per year. A fee of $5.00 per transcript is charged for copies in excess of ten. A fee of $20.00 is assessed for each emergency transcript. An emergency transcript is one which is mailed for overnight delivery. The next day service only applies to street addresses (No Post Office Boxes) within North America. Next day service requests must be received by 1:00 p.m.

Students may request transcripts via Academica. There are no on demand transcript requests. Due to the signature requirement for releasing educational records, the University cannot accept telephone requests for transcripts.

Transcripts are not issued to anyone outside the University without the written permission of the student. Requests for official transcripts will not be honored if the student or former student has an outstanding financial obligation to the University.

For students who have been in attendance since the year 2000, transcripts can be sent electronically. A valid email address must be provided.

Release of Student Records

The University recognizes the educational records of students as being privileged and has a policy designed to ensure that this information is not improperly divulged without the consent of the student. The University is subject to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and has promulgated regulations pursuant thereto. Copies of the regulations and a list of student records maintained by the University are available for inspection in the Office of the Registrar. The University reserves the right to provide anonymous academic information to other schools and colleges when it is to be used for curriculum evaluation purposes. 

Michigan's Freedom of Information Act 

The Freedom of Information Act (PA 242) provides that a member of the public, in accordance with certain guidelines, has a right to inspect and receive copies of public records maintained by the University. A public record is broadly defined and includes written documents, pictures, recordings, punch cards, magnetic cards, etc., which are maintained by the University in the course of official responsibilities. However, certain records are exempt from disclosure.

The Media Relations Office, located in 3100 Academic/Administrative Building, is responsible for accepting requests for public records, and the Director of that office is the University officer in charge of providing this service. Under statute, a fee can be charged for records released and is based on the cost of labor involved in the search, examination and duplication of records, as well as the mailing costs. Only the Office of General Counsel may authorize the denial of a FOIA request.

Student Directory Information

Effective Winter Term 2000, and updated Spring/Summer 2017, Wayne State University policy permits the release of certain Student Directory information. The specific items are: name, university-provided email address, major, classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.), participation in official recognized activities, including sports, height and weight of member of athletic teams, degree(s) received from Wayne State University, and honors and or/academic awards received.

Unless a student informs the Office of the Registrar that he or she does not want this information released, it will be available to third parties on request. In addition, the student’s name, WSU e-mail address, College/School, and major will be visible in the University’s Electronic Directory on the Internet. Students who do not want this information released must formally request withholding by completing the Release of Directory Information form, available from the Office of the Registrar.

WSU OneCard

The WSU OneCard is a multi-purpose identification and debit card all in one. It is a convenient, easy-to-use card designed to provide stu dents with access to a wide variety of campus services including. parking, door access, copying and printing services food and book-store purchases, and more, all without having to use cash. The OneCard is needed to access the fitness center, the complimentary campus shuttle and serves as the Library Card for the WSU Libraries. Students should contact the OneCard Office for complete details.