The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Teaching and Learning is for teachers and other professionals who wish to enhance their content and pedagogical knowledge, as well as research skills in teaching and learning. Program activities engage students in the study of teaching and learning using current theoretical developments in order to:
- develop curriculum illustrating best practices and
- research inquiries in areas of their interest.
The theoretical knowledge and research skills acquired in this program are an important aspect of an educator's professional growth and essential to those interested in taking on leadership roles and/or pursuing another advanced degree in the future.
Applicants must meet requirements for admission to the Graduate School (a minimum undergraduate degree GPA of 2.75 for regular admission and a GPA of 2.50 for qualified admission). In addition, prior coursework or a teaching endorsement in the field of study is required for admission to the following concentrations:
- Foreign Language Education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Special Education
The Master of Education degree requires a minimum of thirty credits, at least twenty-four of which must be taken at Wayne State University. The program is offered under master's degree plan 'B,' which includes completion of a terminal seminar and essay or project.
The following courses are required of all students in the program (12 credit hours): The remaining credit hours will come from the area of the concentration (18 to 24 credits). The total number of credit hours for the degree will vary from 30 to 36 depending on the area of the concentration.
|TED 7000||Introductory Master's Seminar||3|
|ED 7999||Terminal Master's Seminar and Essay or Project||3|
|TED 7030||Foundations of Teaching and Learning||3|
|TED 7060||Inclusive Education, Curriculum and Pedagogy||3|
- Bilingual/Bicultural (BBE), which may lead to a teaching endorsement; Online
- Early Childhood Education (ECED), which may lead to a teaching endorsement
- English as a Second Language (ESL), which may lead to a teaching endorsement; Online
- Foreign Language (FLED):
- Mathematics Education (MATE)
- Peace and Conflict Studies (PCOS)
- Science Education (SCIE)
- Special Education (SPE), which may lead to a teaching endorsements in one of two areas:
- Cognitive Impairment
- Autism Spectrum Disorder