Academic Catalog

Chemistry (M.A.)

This degree is designed for those who wish advanced training in chemistry but intend to pursue careers in cognate fields, such as education or business.

Admission Requirements

Admission to this program is contingent upon admission to the  Graduate School.

Admission may be granted to applicants who have completed one year of college physics, mathematics through calculus, and the equivalent of undergraduate semester credits in chemistry as follows: general chemistry (eight credits), organic chemistry (eight credits), physical chemistry (six credits), quantitative analysis (four credits), and advanced chemistry (three credits). Applicants specializing in biochemistry may substitute advanced biology for advanced chemistry.

A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 in chemistry and cognate science is required. Students who do not meet the requirements may petition the departmental committee on graduate study for qualified admission. Admissions under this program may include special requirements specified on the basis of the student’s previous experience and training.

Program Requirements

This degree is offered only as a Plan C master’s program. (Chemistry courses below the 6000 level may not be applied toward this degree.) A total of thirty credits in course work which must include:

CHM 8850Frontiers in Chemistry1
Select two or three credits in graduate seminar:2-3
Seminar in Analytical Chemistry
Seminar in Organic Chemistry
Seminar in Inorganic Chemistry
Seminar in Physical Chemistry
Seminar in Biochemistry
CHM 6740Laboratory Safety1
Select at least eighteen credits in chemistry courses open to graduate chemistry students (excluding research, seminar, CHM 6740 and CHM 8850) of which at least nine credits must be at the 7000 level18

Academic Scholarship: All course work must be completed in accordance with the regulations of the Graduate School and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Candidacy must be established by the time twelve credits have been earned. The applicant must file a copy of the Plan of Work with the Graduate Officer.

Back to top